St Bedes/Mentone Tigers Amateur Football Club was formed in late 1992 from an amalgamation of three clubs:
- St Bedes Old Collegians Football Club which was affiliated with both the Victorian Amateur Football Association (VAFA) and the Moorabbin Saints Junior Football League (MSJFL)1;
- Mentone Football Club which was a member of the South East Suburban Football League (SESFL)2; and
- Mentone Junior Football Club, also a member of the MSJFL.
Mentone FC was originally formed in 1904, competing successfully in the Federal Football League until 1981 and then in the SESFL between 1982 and 1992.
St.Bedes OCFC was formed in 1963 and competed initially in the YCW League before joining the VAFA in 1972 and playing continually in the Amateurs through to 1992.
In 1993, the first season of the merged club, the senior team won the VAFA D Section Premiership capping off a memorable year. In that year the Club fielded Senior, Reserves and Under 19's in the VAFA and six junior sides in the MSJFL. The Under 13 side won the combined Club's first premiership in the MSJFL.
The amalgamation occurred with the help and perseverance of the following people who should be acknowledged for their foresight:
- Michael Atherton St Bedes OCFC;
- Dale Collins St Bedes OCFC;
- Peter Davis Mentone FC;
- John Meyer St Bedes OCFC; and
- Phil Sierakowski Mentone Junior Football Club.
The leadership of John Meyer as the Club's inaugural president and Mark Tyquin the senior coach laid the foundation for the future.
Note 1: The Moorabbin Saints Junior Football League became the South Metro Junior Football League in 2012.
Note 2: The SESFL changed its name to the Southern Football League (SFL) in 1992.